Life in Canada

Canada is divided into 10 provinces and 3 territories. Each province has its own government; legislation can therefore differ between the provinces.

The country has a wealth of cultures, religions, and spoken languages brought in each year by new arrivals.

Immetis is there to help you and make your settlement in Canada a success.

Children under the age of 18 can normally attend school free of charge if you have a work permit (employer-specific or open).

When you arrive in Canada, especially after the beginning of the school year, contact your regional school board or commission to enrol your children in school. You can find more information about education in Canada here.

Generally speaking, if you have a valid driving licence from your country, you can use it for 6 months following your arrival in Quebec. In Ontario, however, this is only possible for 60 days.

You will then have to apply for a Quebec (or Ontario) driving licence:

- More information on applying for a driving licence in Quebec, click here

- More information on applying for a driving licence in Ontario, click here

To be able to drive in Quebec, please check the SAAQ (Société de l’Assurance Automobile du Quebec) directly.

In order to be well prepared before your arrival in Canada, it is possible to open a bank account online from your country of origin.

We recommend you do this a few days before your departure; in this way, you will be able to transfer funds and access them as soon as you arrive in Canada. Several of the main Canadian banks also offer advantageous conditions for new arrivals.

Before your departure, you can open an account online and deposit funds. On your arrival, all you have to do is make an appointment with your bank advisor to obtain your bankcard.

A credit score is not essential for renting an apartment or house. Some landlords require it and others are quite happy to rent to new arrivals without a credit score.

Before your departure, gather all documentation that will be of help to you in renting an accommodation. For example, if you have already rented accommodation, a letter of recommendation from your former landlord as well as copies of rent receipts from previous years.

Good to know: The majority of rental contracts end on 30th June, which is why a lot of moves take place on 1st July! The best time therefore to look for rentals is at the end of spring, however, rentals can be found all year round.


Prepare your immigration


Where to start to obtain a work permit, and which status for your relatives?



What about your health coverage?



Anticipate these aspects as a temporary foreign worker.

This section aims to give you general information on immigration to Canada, to simplify terms and cannot be used as legal advice. Contact our team of professionals to receive full legal advice.

Copyright 2020 © All Rights Reserved Immetis Legal Services inc.